There are many reasons why people transition fully or partially to a plant-based diet; they want to lose weight, they hate the idea of animal cruelty, they want to be more healthy, or in my case, they want to live a life free of stomach pain.
I have had a mystery stomach ailment since I came back from Afghanistan about 5 years ago. Over time it seems to be getting worse and worse and after having gone to a regular doctor, having numerous blood draws, CT scans, ultra sounds, etc “there is nothing visibly wrong with me.” So I recently began looking into natural ways to heal my gut. I will be consulting with a naturopathic physician this coming week and have been speaking frequently with my highly helpful cousin who is a naturopathic nutritionist, and all signs point towards going plant-based. So here I go.
Now I know that it can be challenging so I plan on letting my readers in on all the information I come across as I transition my lifestyle away from animal products and into the plant-based world. I have been reading many sources to gain insight into what it’s like to eat only plant-base products, how to get a well-balanced diet and become a better more healthy me!
The information I found valuable was about how switching to a plant-based diet can heal you and literally reverse diseases. So here are some resources I have read or seen so far.
- Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman
- A Plant-based Life by Micaela Cook Karlsen
- Principles of Fasting by Leon Chaitow
- Plant-Powered for Life by Sharon Palmer
- Forks over Knives by Del Sroufe (this is also on Netflix with the same information as in the book, but the book has recipes – Also they have a meal planner
- What the Health – documentary on Netflix
- Services through http://www.healthyveganrecipe.com – this can help you in various ways from nutritional consulting and lifestyle corrections to learning how to adopt a plant-based lifestyle and helping you understand veganism.
- Plant-based Facebook groups, these have been great because you gain support, meal ideas, questions are answered quickly and you get to see how other people are doing in their new lifestyle
- Pinterest – a God send as far are food ideas go!
So here I go! Four weeks in and a lifetime of health and enjoyment to go!
Just a side note… shoutout to my cousin Jody who has inspired and helped me a TON through this process.
As always, thanks for reading! I’d love to hear from you!
Have you dramatically switched your diet for health reasons?
What are some great resources you have come across?
Whats your favorite plant-based meal?